debian-5.0.3 on ThinkPad A21e : dude, where's my RAM ?

Hi all,

I've just installed a fresh debian on an old IBM ThinkPad A21e (see cpuz info in attachement) and I'm kinda bedazzled - in the wrong sense! - at how much an idle system seems to hog RAM : out of 256, half of it is always used...

I've tried a default Ubuntu and Xubuntu install, but browsing the Internet was a sluggish nightmare, that is why I've decided to give it a go with debian, installing the base system and laptop pack only (added openssh-server after reboot). I'll attach a stripped log about memory info, if anybody as any ideas or hints about what's going on it would be really appreciated!

Tanks

Ion
Title: CPU-Z 1.45 HTML report file

CPU-Z 1.45 report file

Processor(s)
Number of processors1
Number of cores1 per processor
Number of threads1 per processor
NameIntel Celeron
Code NameCoppermine
Specification
PackageSocket nanoBGA2
Family/Model/Stepping6.8.3
Extended Family/Model6.8
Brand ID1
Core SteppingcB0
Technology0.18 um
Core Speed597.8 MHz
Multiplier x Bus speed6.0 x 99.6 MHz
Stock frequency600 MHz
Instruction setsMMX, SSE
L1 Data cache (per processor)16 KBytes, 4-way set associative, 32-byte line size
L1 Instruction cache (per processor)16 KBytes, 4-way set associative, 32-byte line size
L2 cache (per processor)128 KBytes, 4-way set associative, 32-byte line size
Chipset & Memory
NorthbridgeIntel i440MX rev. 01
Memory TypeSDRAM
Memory Size256 MBytes