Re: running acceleraation on ati-hardware

Steven Demetrius wrote:
Sthu Deus wrote:
I have ATI x1100 on a laptop and in x-server logs I see that it load
>> Radeon driver with GLX module... - AFAIK it should allow 3D direct
>> rendering - but it is not - visually and the glxinfo utility states
>> the same. It also states about setting
[...]
Are you using the open-source module or the proprietary module?

In order to use 3D acceleration you have to use the proprietary module
from ATI/AMD. You can install it via the Fglrx model package in the
Debian repository or download it directly from ATI/AMD. The safest way
is to use the Debian package.

This is not correct. The open source drivers, 'radeon' and 'radeonhd' should both be able to handle 3D on Radeon X1000 generation hardware. Here is a quote from the 'radeonhd' wiki

    http://www.x.org/wiki/radeonhd

"The driver supports full modesetting (read: any mode is usable, not only those provided by the BIOS), and is compatible to RandR 1.3. 2D and Xv (video) acceleration is provided for all supported GPUs; 3D acceleration via Mesa is supported for r5xx/rs690 GPUs (X1xxx) and is in progress for r6xx/r7xx GPUs (HD2xxx-HD4xxx)."

Open source support for 3D depends not only on the X server (DDX) driver, but also having a version of Mesa compiled with DRI drivers for your hardware and DRM modules in the Linux kernel.

I would advise folks having problems with 3D on 'radeon' or 'radeonhd' to send emails to the mailing lists for the driver they are using. Info about the mailing lists can be found on the freedesktop.org wiki: see above for the 'radeonhd' wiki URI, and the URI for the 'radeon' wiki is

    http://wiki.x.org/wiki/radeon

Read the README and other text files that come with the Fglrx package,
you have to install it first. I've found that in some cases I have to
rebuild the Fglrx module with Module-Assistant (m-a). After you install
the module and other dependent packages you have to run

At this point, 'fglrx' is a poor choice for Radeon X1000 cards, since ATI has dropped Linux support for their old hardware. The only choice for people with old ATI cards now is the open source drivers.

HTH,
Dave W.