Re: Inquiry:How to enable Telnet & SSH on my Debian 3.1 server?

On Sun, Nov 15, 2009 at 11:14:41AM +0000, hadi motamedi wrote:
> Thank you for your reply . Please be informed that I tried as the followings
> :
> #apt-cache search telnet
> #apt-get install telnet
> At now , my Debian server can telnet to my MS Windows client but my MS
> Windows client cannot telnet to my Debian server . Can you please let me
> know what is still wrong ?
> Thank you in advance

You need to run telnet daemon (telnetd).

In lenny (Debian 5.0), inetutils-telnetd, krb5-telnetd, telnetd, and
telnetd-ssl seems to provide such.

I have no idea what package offer telnetd in Debian GNU/Linux 3.1
(a.k.a. sarge, two before current stable release).  I bet for simple
telnetd.

Unless you have special reason, you should use current stable release.
Once you get to understans basics, you can play with old ones as hobby.
They are still available at http://archive.debian.org/debian/dists/

I think learning some basics should help you.

http://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/debian-reference/index.en.html

Most of "Inquiry" are answered or hinted in there.

Osamu