Re: Inquiry:How to enable Telnet & SSH on my Debian 3.1 server?

hadi motamedi wrote:
> Dear All
> Can you please do me favor and let me know how can I enable telnet &
> ssh on my Debian 3.1 server (as it does not support them at now) ?

Just install the packages with the servers. In the latest version they
are openssh-server and telnetd (or another package providing
telnet-server). This may be different in previous versions, but you can
find out packages with 'apt-cache search telnet' or a similar command.

Note, however, that telnet is quite unsecure as it transmits passwords
in cleartext. ssh is better, but old versions of both may have security
problems. If you are going to have services running on your machine,
it's highly recommended to upgrade to the latest stable version, Debian
5.0 because this version gets security fixes, unlike your ancient version.

--
You know it's going to be a long day when you get up, shave and shower,
start to get dressed and your shoes are still warm.

Eduardo M KALINOWSKI
eduardo@kalinowski.com.br