Re: HP G60-249WM Notebook overheats (on lenny)

On Mon, Nov 02, 2009 at 03:17:55PM -0800, Brian C. Wells wrote:
> On Fri, 2009-10-30 at 21:05 -1000, Joel Roth wrote:
> > On Wed, Oct 28, 2009 at 04:47:55PM -0700, Brian C. Wells wrote:
> > > Vacuuming brought the idle temperature down by 5C.  sauerbraten now runs
> > > great at about 80C, but glchess/gnuchess still gets up to 95C or more!
> >
> > You might look to see where the vents are located. I have my
> > notebook up on spacers so that vents underside can get more
> > airflow.
>
> The heat exhaust is near the bottom on the back of the laptop.  Intake
> is on the bottom.  When I vacuumed, dust came out of the intake vents.
> I already have spacers and a cooling pad underneath my laptop; I
> mentioned this in the original post.
>
> At this point, I don't think there is much that can be done to solve
> this problem.  Others have said HP laptops have a reputation for
> overheating, so I'll just have to remember that next time I'm buying.

If your laptop isn't shutting down due to overheating,
then I think you're lucky.

I don't have proper fan control of my Toshiba L305 series
laptop. The way I control the fan is by restarting the
laptop immediately after an overheating shutdown. This
somehow locks the fan on its maximum setting.

Toshiba has not been forthcoming with technical data that
would help my better control my fan (and hotkeys, etc.)

--
Joel Roth