Re: Console Font Size?

Thomas H. George wrote:
What is the relation between consolechars, charset and the
/etc/console-tools/config file?
On boot up the console characters are hard to read without glasses.
The command consolechars -d changes to a very bold font.
The man page for charset indicates the default font is cp427 or iso01.
The entries in /etc/console-tools/config set APP_CHAR_MAP=utf8 and
SCREEN_FONT=uni3-TerminusBold16

After experimenting I edited /etc/console-tools/config to change the
line
SCREEN_FONT=uni3-TerminusBold16

SCREEN_FONT=uni3-TerminusBold32x16

which gave me a console font I can read without glasses.

This works for me but I am left wondering about the different options.

Tom

You may like to reverse the settings to their defaults and first try vga=ask (append to kernel boot line in grub config file). Once you find the vga= option you like, you can then set it like this-> vga=0x<chosen> (eg: if you typed 317 it would be vga=0x317).

This sets up the textual console resolution. You can then check out if you need further refinement with the character sets..