Re: Solved: ? Re: How to change the domainname ????

>> After emailing you, the .local suffix rang a bell and looking at your
>> emails now confirms it. .local is an avahi-specific suffix and your
>> log message comes from avahi-daemon. There is a setting (through the
>> "hosts" line in /etc/nsswitch.conf, I think, although it does not make
>> sense offhand) which instructs avahi not to append .local when you are
>> using .local as a unicast domain.

> After your reply, i did look some deeper in the avahi-documentation and came
> acros the following tekst:
> http://avahi.org/wiki/AvahiAndUnicastDotLocal

> It seems that avahi uses the .local and with the implamentation of avahi on
> the system, there are some problems using a the .local domain and avahi.
> It is advised NOT to use the .local domain and avahi.

> So the remark in syslog is only a mark of binding the hostname to .local for
> avahi and not the REAL FQDN.

> So it should not give any problem to use the thuis.local domain and avahi.

> I guess problem solved

> Avahi and Unicast Domains .local
> mDNS/DNS-SD is inherently incompatible with unicast DNS zones .local. We
> strongly recommend not to use Avahi or nss-mdns in such a network setup.
> N.B.: nss-mdns is not typically bundled with Avahi and requires a separate
> download and install.
> Background: The Zeroconf protocols Avahi implements are known as mDNS and
> DNS-SD. mDNS (short for Multicast DNS) is based on traditional (unicast)
> DNS, but the two systems do not interact. mDNS is used to manage a special
> cooperative zone .local where all local mDNS servers can freely register
> host names or services. Before mDNS was introduced the domain .local was
> sometimes used in non-public (unicast) DNS servers to assign names in LANs.
> Unfortunately some networks still use this domain that way. If Avahi and
> nss-mdns is installed properly a machine does not contact a unicast DNS
> server when resolving names from the .local domain, thus the unicast DNS
> domain .local becomes unreachable.
> If you come across a network where .local is a unicast DNS domain, please
> contact the local administrator and ask him to move his DNS zone to a
> different domain. If this is not possible, we recommend not to use Avahi in
> such a network at all.

Given this .local info, I would avoid using it.

I have just found the workaround that I had read in my notes. It is
only applicable if you are running a DNS server for .local. In that
case, the DNS entry must come before the two mDNS entries in the hosts
line in /etc/nsswitch.conf. I am not sure whether this would prevent
avahi from appending .local to a hostname in syslog though! Could the
devs not have chosen .avahi or .bonjour or .mdns as a default?