Re: what's your favourite FLOSS?

On Mon, 9 Nov 2009 22:20:50 +0200
Andrei Popescu <andreimpopescu@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Mon,09.Nov.09, 11:04:36, Boyd Stephen Smith Jr. wrote:
>
> > > Surprising to find that there's no FLOSS competitor. I thought Skype
> > > was big on popularity, not features. What's missing in what you've
> > > tried? What comes close?
> >
> > There are a number of FLOSS software phone applications.
>
> Could you please point me to one that:
>
> - works on Windows, OS X and, of course, GNU/Linux
> - supports webcam
> - can traverse NATs

I've had much trouble with all Linux VoIP clients that I've tried.  My
test for usability is fairly simple: successfully make a call to the
Ekiga echo test number (sip:500@ekiga.net), and hear the recorded audio
and get the echoed A/V.  Currently, Ekiga (the client) works, but I
could not get any other client to do so.  [I'm behind NAT.]  Many don't
connect, giving more or less (generally less) cryptic explanations as
to why, and one (Linphone, IIRC) claims that it has connected, but
doesn't show any A/V.  Googling shows that many clients have trouble
with the Ekiga.net server's implementation of some protocol, but I've
also tried registering with iptel.org; while some clients do better
with it, at least allowing me to successfully register, which they
wouldn't do with Ekiga.net, I still have yet to successfully make a
call with anything but Ekiga.

It addition to SIP, I also tried the A/V functionality of XMPP.  The
only client that I could find that claims to currently support A/V over
XMPP is Pidgin; I tried it, but it reproducibly segfaults whenever I
send or receive a call:

http://developer.pidgin.im/ticket/10697

VoIP on linux seems to currently be pretty badly broken / unimplemented.

Celejar