Re: Broken keyboard layout after lenny/squeeze upgrade.

Florian Kulzer <florian.kulzer+debian@icfo.es> writes:

> On Mon, Nov 09, 2009 at 00:14:02 -0500, Chris Jones wrote:
>> Over the weekend, I upgraded a sacrificial copy of my current 'lenny'
>> to 'squeeze' and ran into a rather odd keyboard issue:
>>
>> Specifically, the Down and PgDown keys were no longer working.
>
> [...]
>
>> Could someone knowledgeable comment on this and explain what's going on?
>
> http://wiki.debian.org/XStrikeForce/InputHotplugGuide

Sorry to just butt in here, but after quickly reading most of the
document there, I'm wondering how certain kinds of settings that I've
made in Xorg.conf or its predecessors, for years, will fair in this
emerging new way of doing things.

One setting I've learned to really like and rely on by now, is
something most people would probably find annoying as heck.  It looks
like this in xorg.conf

    Subsection "Display"
        Depth       24
        Modes       "1280x1024" #"1024x768" "800x600" "640x480"
        Virtual     2048 1536
        ViewPort    0 0
    EndSubsection

The part I'm concerned with is the `Virtual' setting, which allows me
to have a massive sized desktop to flop around on.

I like having that room to pan around on, and it serves to also keep
people off my machines... hehe.

 I'd really hate to lose that big virtual desktop, and am assuming it
could still be setup somehow.

Currently it still works to have it in an xorg.conf.  But if I'm
understanding that document right, the idea is to move away from
setting up X with an xorg.conf.  So how would settings like that one
be handled in that case.