Re: Major problems 2.6.26 kernel in lenny

On Sun, 08 Nov 2009 12:12:41 +0100, Frank Lin PIAT <fpiat@klabs.be> wrote:

> Did you try to start in runlevel 1 (i.e "recovery mode")?
> What happens when you "fsck" your partition?
> Your problem might be the next script (in /etc/rcS.d/).

    Same thing happens in single user mode. And it doesn't complete
checking all partitions. So it should not be about next script. When
amd64 kernel boots successfully, then there are much more messages about
checking disks.

> I doubt it would change anything, but did you try -486 kernel?

    No, only with amd64 kernel. And that boot's successfully. Also, 2.6.18
from Etch boots successfully - and I'm using that currently. And, since that
particular computer is small server, I rally don't want to experiment much.
And immediatly after upgrading from etch to lenny it booted fine (but I
reverted to 2.6.18, because of crashing problem with Win95/98/ME shares).

>> Other partitions have jfs filesystem.
>> Amd64 kernel boots up fine, but it still cannot unmount smbmounted shares
>> as user.
>
> Well, as a workaround, you could write a perl script to run with sudo.

    Probably, but it's still weird bug.

> Regarding your bugs:

> -> not supported by developers, because the client OS isn't
>    supported anymore.

    I understand that. And that's why I changed my backup of old Windows 95
 computer to use smbclient as workaround.

> -> You could ask the maintainers if they need more information on this
>    bug. You could describe the other scenario that you have tested:
>    Which other kernel you tried? Do you have the problem with other
>    client computer (running a recent version of windows)? What does
>    "mount | grep /mnt" shows?

    That problem is also with Windows XP (haven't checked with Vista).
And after error share is still mounted and I can list it's contents.

--
Virgo Pärna
virgo.parna@mail.ee