Re: Lost my window manager

On Fri, 6 Nov 2009 23:31:38 +0100
Jochen Schulz <ml@well-adjusted.de> dijo:

> John Jason Jordan:
> > Jochen Schulz <ml@well-adjusted.de> dijo:

> > However, if I close the terminal window it stops the processes, and the
> > panel and the window manager disappear.
>
> If you run the programs like this:
>
> nohup metacity &
> nohup gnome-panel &

That works much better.

> They should keep running after you close the terminal. After that, you
> should go the the settings menu (don't remember what it's called
> exactly) to save your current session (or make sure that Gnome autosaves
> the session on logout).

I wish you could remember what the settings menu is called, because I
can't get it to work. I've looked everywhere in the GUI and I can't
find any place to save the current session.

> > Thanks for the suggestions and patience!
>
> You're welcome. I am quite baffled by the strange behaviour you are
> getting.

Me too. I have never used Debian other than a quick trial, but I have
used Ubuntu starting with Breezy on my first Linux computer. I have had
lots of strange things happen, but this is new and perplexing.

I really probably belong in Ubuntu-land, because I am just a no-count
desktop user. I have no interest in programming or looking under the
hood of Linux. But after several years of Ubuntu I decided it was time
to expand my horizons. I tried other mainstream distros, but I need my
Synaptic and Debian package management tools. So here I am in
Debian-istan, trying my best to figure it out.

I do like Debian testing so far, in spite of the issues I am having.