Rate-limiting based on packets per second?

I've read the iptables man page, but I'm not really sure I understand
how to rate-limit packets per second globally. What I'm trying to do is
create a rule that would limit my overall inbound flows to <=200 packets
per second- I don't care about the size, I just want to limit the number
of packets.

I'm thinking some kind of hashlimit on the inbound chain is what I need,
but I can't find any practical examples that show how to do this.

--
"Oh, look: rocks!"
	-- Doctor Who, "Destiny of the Daleks"