Re: what's your favourite FLOSS?

Tshepang Lekhonkhobe wrote at 2009-11-05 07:56 -0600:
> Here's a template where you can fill in your favourites If something
> doesn't fit in any of the categories, put it under misc utilities.
> Please don't add what you haven't really used. You can include more
> than one entrant per category.

> audio player:
randomplay

> desktop environment OR window manager:
awesome

> disc burner:
wodim

> e-mail client:
mutt

> finance:
gnucash

> games:
vegastrike
simutrans
 (science category?)
celestia
stellarium

> image creator/editor:
gimp
hugin

> image viewer:
gpicview

> misc utilities:
printconf - automatically configures USB and parallel printers with CUPS
inkscape - vector-based drawing program (for me, more than replaces Adobe Illustrator)
dtrx - intelligently extract multiple archive types
fdupes - identifies duplicate files within given directories
iat - Converts many CD-ROM image formats to iso9660
iftop - displays bandwidth usage information
ncdu - ncurses disk usage viewer
partimage - backup partitions into a compressed image file
reportbug - although I don't like to have to use it

> package manager:
aptitude

> pdf/ps-reader:
epdfview

> spreadsheet:
oocalc

> web browser:
uzbl

> word-processor:
oowriter

> SPECIAL CATEGORIES
> anything unreleased and highly anticipated:
freecad

> anything dying/dead:
rolo

> anything deserving great honours (EG. Linux, GCC):
This time:
 awesome
 uzbl

> any organisation/community deserving great honours (EG. GNU, Debian):
Debian, of course!

> any FLOSS developer deserving great honours (max 5 at most, unless you insist):
Anyone who is working to make Squeeze better than Lenny.