How do I make udev give me /dev/lp0 ?

Please CC me, I am not subscribed.

I am using lenny on an amd64 with the standard kernel.

The short question is in the subject. The long version follows.

When trying to use my printer, I installed cups and foomatic, because the
package descriptions suggested that I needed to. However, foomatic did not
know the printer model and thus configuration of cups failed. Then I just
tried
  cp bla.ps /dev/lp0
because I felt that it "should" work. It did.
So I happily uninstalled cups, foomatic and all the bloat that they pull
in as dependencies. The problem: Next time I tried (after a number of
reboots), /dev/lp0 was gone.

The standard kernel (which I use) uses udev and if I understand the latter
correctly, it should always give me (in /dev) the devices which are
physically present. As my parallel port is always present and there is no
way to detect whether anything is conected to the far end, why is there no
/dev/lp0 by default? Or at least when there is something at the far end?
How do I get /dev/lp0 back?

Best regards,

  Caeles