Re: Need advice analyzing S.M.A.R.T data of HDD in "Imminent disk failure".

On 09-11-03 21:29:19, Luis Maceira wrote:
> In Ubuntu9.10 I have received warnings that a HDD is in
> pre-failure.The disk(Iomega Prestige mobile USB external) has 1
> month.In Debian Testing and OpenSolaris(installed on the same HDD I
> have no warnings.).Using smartmontools (this disk is not in its
> database) I get below:
> me@mycomputer:~$ sudo smartctl -T verypermissive -a -d sat --health
> /dev/sdb
> SMART overall-health self-assessment test result: PASSED
> See vendor-specific Attribute list for marginal Attributes.
> Vendor Specific SMART Attributes with Thresholds:
> ID# ATTRIBUTE_NAME          FLAG     VALUE WORST THRESH TYPE
> UPDATED  WHEN_FAILED RAW_VALUE
>  10 Spin_Retry_Count        0x0013   100   092   097    Pre-fail
> Always   In_the_past 0

This is the complaint.  Perhaps the disk won't spin up some day, making
the data inaccessible, or perhaps the disk just didn't get enough power
one time (use an external power supply to prevent a recurrence).

I don't think there is any way to get Palimpsest to not complain other
than to shut it off.

In the past I have rendered a drive amnesiac by updating its firmware,
but I can't really recommend that, and it's a hassle.

TonyN.:'                       <mailto:tonynelson@georgeanelson.com>