Re: PPP / ADSL / demand / GUI prompt question

--- On Sun, 11/1/09, Stan Hoeppner <stan@hardwarefreak.com> wrote:

> stephen2eq@yahoo.com
> put forth on 11/1/2009 3:19 AM:
> > No not absolutely sure, I just assumed...
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Point-to-Point_Protocol_over_ATM
>
> By saying
> "DHCP" for all dynamic IP allocations, you're in essence
> doing what my
> father does when he uses "DSL" to refer to cable modem,
> satellite, and
> FIOS.  He just can't grasp the difference (or just
> doesn't care).
>
> He's 72, so I guess you just can't teach some old dogs new
> tricks.

Perhaps I was being a bit self-deprecatory in my previous message as I had actually worked out what pppoatm stood for, although I hadn't (and haven't) read the Wikipedia page for it.  Perhaps I should explain that although I used to work with computers, I have not done so for over six years (I now program a different type of machine, aged 11-16).  Perhaps I was exposed to a limited range of technologies, or perhaps things have changed since I left the industry, but either way it is clear that although I knew what DHCP was, I was mistaken to assume it was synonymous with dynamic IP address assignment, which was what I meant when I told Kevin that I was using DHCP.  Insofar as my incorrect use of acronyms has caused irritation / unnecessary posts / made it harder for people to help me, I apologise (and will try to avoid such assumptions in future posts).  Outside the confines of this list however, I'm afraid I'm probably with your father!

To end with a technical question for anybody who can answer: does the fact that I'm using PPP over ATM have any bearing on why the 'demand' line in my provider file does not work properly?