Re: debian source.list

Stan Hoeppner wrote:
Ravi put forth on 11/1/2009 7:08 AM:
Stan Hoeppner wrote:
Ravi put forth on 11/1/2009 6:54 AM:

I am new to Debian (in fact using Debian 4.0 "etch" version), I have
been fighing to have a valid source.list, when I try to run apt-get
update I most of the time servers are not found..and not able to upgrade
to some of the pacakges on my box.
Could somebody help here please?
cat /etc/apt/sources.list  and post the contents here.

--
Stan

Thanks Stan for your quick reply, following is the contents of
sources.list, apt-get update is never able to find deb
http://www.backports.org/debian etch-backports main contrib non-free and
keep looping here..

deb http://ftp.de.debian.org/debian etch main contrib non-free
deb-src http://ftp.de.debian.org/debian etch main contrib non-free

deb http://ftp2.de.debian.org/debian/ etch main contrib non-free
deb-src http://ftp2.de.debian.org/debian/ lenny main contrib non-free

deb http://security.debian.org/ etch/updates main contrib non-free
deb-src http://security.debian.org/ etch/updates main contrib non-free

deb http://www.backports.org/debian etch-backports main contrib non-free

deb ftp://security.debian.org/debian-security/ etch/updates main contrib
deb-src ftp://security.debian.org/debian-security/ etch/updates main
contrib

deb http://debian.opennms.org stable main
deb-src http://debian.opennms.org stable main

If you are indeed new to Debian, and you installed Etch instead of
Lenny, why are you already trying to use back port packages?  Have you,
or do you intend to, install any back port packages?

I almost went this route to get up to Postfix 2.5.5, but instead I went
ahead and upgraded Etch to Lenny.

If you're not using any back ports, and don't intend to, remove it from
sources.list and try again.

--
Stan

Thanks again Stan again, I really need to backport some of the packages becuase of un-avoidable reasons that is why I am trying to use backport, so it would be helpful me
if this could further be resolved.

Regards
Ravi