debian source.list

Ravi put forth on 11/1/2009 7:08 AM:
> Stan Hoeppner wrote:
>> Ravi put forth on 11/1/2009 6:54 AM:
>>

>>> I am new to Debian (in fact using Debian 4.0 "etch" version), I have
>>> been fighing to have a valid source.list, when I try to run apt-get
>>> update I most of the time servers are not found..and not able to upgrade
>>> to some of the pacakges on my box.
>>> Could somebody help here please?
>>>

>> cat /etc/apt/sources.list  and post the contents here.
>>
>> --
>> Stan
>>

> Thanks Stan for your quick reply, following is the contents of
> sources.list, apt-get update is never able to find deb
> http://www.backports.org/debian etch-backports main contrib non-free and
> keep looping here..
>
> deb http://ftp.de.debian.org/debian etch main contrib non-free
> deb-src http://ftp.de.debian.org/debian etch main contrib non-free
>
> deb http://ftp2.de.debian.org/debian/ etch main contrib non-free
> deb-src http://ftp2.de.debian.org/debian/ lenny main contrib non-free
>
> deb http://security.debian.org/ etch/updates main contrib non-free
> deb-src http://security.debian.org/ etch/updates main contrib non-free
>
> deb http://www.backports.org/debian etch-backports main contrib non-free
>
> deb ftp://security.debian.org/debian-security/ etch/updates main contrib
> deb-src ftp://security.debian.org/debian-security/ etch/updates main
> contrib
>
> deb http://debian.opennms.org stable main
> deb-src http://debian.opennms.org stable main

If you are indeed new to Debian, and you installed Etch instead of
Lenny, why are you already trying to use back port packages?  Have you,
or do you intend to, install any back port packages?

I almost went this route to get up to Postfix 2.5.5, but instead I went
ahead and upgraded Etch to Lenny.

If you're not using any back ports, and don't intend to, remove it from
sources.list and try again.

--
Stan