Re: Does everything depend on everything?

On Sat, Oct 31, 2009 at 10:46:34AM -0500, Dennis Wicks wrote:
> Johannes Wiedersich wrote the following on 10/31/2009 09:06 AM:
>>
>> Micha wrote:
>>
>> [snip some talk about testing and unstable]
>>
>>> For a desktop you want one of these but there is a debate which.
>>
>> Not necessarily. I've been running 'lenny' on my workstations for some
>> time and it works great.
>>
>> YMMV, of course.
>>
>> - --
>> Johannes
>>
>> Three nations have not officially adopted the International System
>> of Units as their primary or sole system of measurement: Burma,
>> Liberia, and the United States.
>
> As long as you don't need any new features or programs there is no need
> to ever upgrade. That is generally my situation.
>
> My wife however, is always discovering something new that she wants to
> do. The latest is video creation and editing and at least two of the
> programs she wanted to try out required versions of libraries, etc., only
> available in Squeeze and newer.

My solution to this situation is to run a mixed system.  It gives me the
the stability of tried and tested software that Lenny provides but
allows me to upgrade to a new version from testing/sid for applications
where I really feel I need it.  All the dependencies are then pulled in.

BTW: I wholeheartedly second that Lenny is great as desktop system.
Comparing this to Win98 is more than ridiculous because we're not
talking about an OS version from a different era, only about packages
that are a few minor version numbers back.  In most cases, the
functionality is nearly where the testing/sid versions are.  When
there's a huge gap, that's when I may decide to pull in the latter.

Cheers,
Norbert