Re: Does everything depend on everything?

On 31/10/2009 19:55, Johannes Wiedersich wrote:

Micha wrote:
On 31/10/2009 16:06, Johannes Wiedersich wrote:
For a desktop you want one of these but there is a debate which.

Not necessarily. I've been running 'lenny' on my workstations for some
time and it works great.

I also know people who still run windows 98 and it works great, it
doesn't mean that it's the right desktop solution

The fact that you compare lenny to win98 just tells us that you don't
know much about debian (and/or about win98).

I think I do know a few things about both, probably more than you. I've been with debian since 1997 on multiple setups (desktops to servers to clusters), did embedded Linux/kernel work and abused every version of Microsoft since Dos one point something.

I'll grant that maybe a better comparison would have been windows NT. Stable but ancient. Would run that either. Same with word 97 which is a bit more mature that the version of openoffice in Lenny.

As I wrote, your mileage may vary and there can be valid reasons to use
testing or sid on workstations. One of the is that the next stable
version of workstation software will benefit from a larger number of
testers.

Servers tend to run on older hardware, desktop tend to run on newer hardware that usually only partially supported by stable.

However, your claim that 'stable is not a right desktop solution' is an
offence against our developers and the security team who put a lot of
work and effort in releasing stable versions of gnome, kde, iceweasel to
name a few -- and then continue their efforts and work on security
updates for those workstation packages.

I generally find that the software is so old that I can't collaborate with anyone and some non critical bugs just stay around for years (literally). Also half the hardware doesn't work on laptops and newer desktops.

BTW, did I mention that lenny works great as a desktop system?

Please try to convince the people running win98 to run it inside a
virtual machine on a lenny system and continue trolling somewhere else,
not here.

I feel that pushing lenny on unsuspecting newbies just makes them run screaming from linux. I'm a traditionalist in most things but archeology is good for long running servers, not for desktops that need to run on new hardware and collaborate with other people.

The last cluster I setup won't even boot on Lenny, to tell the truth it won't even have network even with testing, not to mention a few other things.

And as for virtual machine, I'm wondering if I can get a current virtual machine run on Lenny.

My experience over the last 12 years or so is that stable, testing, unstable talks more about how volatile the distribution is rather than how stable it actually is.

- --
Johannes

Three nations have not officially adopted the International System
of Units as their primary or sole system of measurement: Burma,
Liberia, and the United States.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Si_units