Re: PPP / ADSL / demand / GUI prompt question

stephen2eq@yahoo.com wrote:
 > It is just that I would prefer that non-technical guests staying at
my house not have to learn to start an xfce-term and type 'pon' before
they can use the Internet.  If it comes to that I would make the machine
boot up into Windows by default, but that would be an opportunity lost
with regard to showing people that there is an alternative.

How about this:

1. Make all users, or selected users if you wish, belong to the
'dialout' group.

2. Verify that pon can be initiated by "dialout" group users (is it so
by default?).

3. Make a shortcut on everyone's desktop to call the pon command ("sudo
pon dsl-provider").

4. Advise users to click on that short cut if they want internet access.

5. A similar shortcut for "sudo poff -a" to the connection to off.

I admit it is not something similar to the GUI based pon choice upon
detection of internet traffic, but it is at least fast and easy to setup
while you wait for a better solution.

Regards.

ever having been read.