Re: PPP / ADSL / demand / GUI prompt question

* stephen2eq@yahoo.com <stephen2eq@yahoo.com> 30.10.2009

> At the moment I have to start an xterm and explicitly type 'pon'
> before I can use any internet-based programs such as iceweasel or even
> ping.  My question is, is there any way I can get iceweasel (or ping)
> to cause a GUI dialog to appear, asking me if I want to establish the
> ADSL connection, if it is not up?  (In other words, the way it works
> in Windows?)  Said GUI dialog would preferably work on top of kfce,
> which I like.
>
> I HAVE tried adding the line 'demand' to my /etc/ppp/peers/provider
> file.  After doing that if I run pon and then plog -f, I can see
> messages up to the point where it tells me the local and remote IP
> addresses, with nothing after that - presumably because pppd is
> waiting for some 'demand' before it connects.  However, when I then
> try iceweasel, it still says 'site not found' and and nothing more
> appears in the plog -f output.  Similarly, when I try ping, it still
> says unknown host.

Hello Stephen,

I have these lines at the top of my /etc/ppp/peers/provider

connect /bin/true
demand
idle 180

Hth Michael

--
Check it out, send me comments, and dance joyously in the streets,
                -- Linus Torvalds announcing 2.0.27