Re: Recommended Linux Backup

On Thu, Oct 29, 2009 at 06:14:44PM -0500, lrhorer wrote:
> Other than tar and rsync, I have never used any Linux backup utilities,
> and I am looking for recommendations.  I would like an open source
> solution which will do the following:
>
> 1. Back up to removable hard drives
> 2. Span multiple target volumes
> 3. Maintain a virtual fileysystem so all snapshots look like a single
> backup to the user.
> 4. Maintain an easily monitored index so the user can see which drive
> will be needed for a particular backup or restore operation.
> 5. Be able to easily rebuild the index and virtual file system from the
> backup drives (preferebly just one drive) if the database is lost on
> the source system.

I'm not sure if it'll do everything you're looking for, but you might
want to investigate BackupPC.  It's designed to backup to a single hard
drive, but it has an archive feature which allows you to copy a single
backup to a removeable drive (or tape).

It pools files from all of the "hosts" it backs up, and optionally
compresses the files.  Its web interface makes each snapshot look like a
complete backup.

-Rob