Scanning with HP LaserJet 3300mfp

Hi:

 I am using Lenny and I had mixed results trying to scan:

 I have sane, xsane hplip, etc as well as kooka.

xsane always fails with sane_read error during I/O. scaneimage and scanimage -T also fail. So does xscanimage. However, hp-scan (from hplip-gui), a command-line version than uses sane succeeds. Seeing that all of them use sane, and I don't understand what is happening.

Kooka has no problems. The device in all cases as recognized as hpaio:/usb/HP_LaserJet_3300_ etc.

I see from google there have been similar complaints over the years, but I have not come across any solution.

 I would appreciate any suggestions.

Sebastian Canagaratna