Re: problems setting up screen blanking in X

Adam Hardy on 28/10/09 14:06, wrote:
green on 28/10/09 13:34, wrote:
Adam Hardy wrote at 2009-10-28 04:47 -0500:
My only problem now is with the video signal powering down after 10 mins. I can't find the configuration setting anywhere and searching the internet has so far only turned up people in the same situation - it's not the BIOS, it's not X (it happens on the command line too), and I can't see any settings in /etc that might regulate it.

Check /etc/X11/xorg.conf file (look for "OffTime" in xorg.conf(5).

Check /etc/console-tools/config file:
 BLANK_TIME=0
 BLANK_DPMS=off
 POWERDOWN_TIME=0
I suggest setting them that way and see if it makes a difference, then adjusting later if necessary.

In X, what is the output of:
$ xset q | grep -i dpms

according to the man page, the default for OffTime is 40 mins, but my signal
power-down happens after 10 mins.

The xset output is:
DPMS (Energy Star):
  Standby: 1200    Suspend: 1800    Off: 2400
  DPMS is Enabled
  Monitor is On

interesting. In /etc/console-tools/config I have:

BLANK_TIME=30
POWER_DOWN=30

Partial success! The screen no longer blanks in command line interface.

However it still blanks in X. First, using Option "DPMS" "Off" in xorg.conf "Monitor" section has no effect. xset shows DPMS is on.

My new "ServerFlags" section also has only limited effect. (see xset output below)

Section "ServerFlags"
        Option          "BlankTime"     "0"
        Option          "StandbyTime"   "0"
        Option          "SuspendTime"   "0"
        Option          "OffTime"       "0"
EndSection

I have checked that this is the only xorg.conf being read. The output from "xset q" for the screen saver (disabled in the xfce config menu) is what I think still needs to change:

Screen Saver:
  prefer blanking:  yes    allow exposures:  yes
  timeout:  0    cycle:  600

DPMS (Energy Star):
  Standby: 0    Suspend: 0    Off: 0
  DPMS is Enabled