Re: [OT] Facebook-like blogging software

On Wednesday 28 Oct 2009, Ken Teague wrote:
> Can anyone recommend blogging software, preferrably pre-packaged and
>  in the stable tree, that functions like Facebook?
>
> One of my clients is looking for such a gem to throw around ideas at
>  each other, store away some of their own ideas, share some files,
>  have a private and public area, and be easy to use.  I offered a
>  wiki solution, but I was given the hint that they're looking for
>  something even easier to use.

Have you thought of using forum type software.

We have a forum set up to support a fan club, where the members
effectively interact socially.  They can upload pictures, and I have
added simple support for embedded youtube videos(via a mod). Simple
BBCODEs control formating

I used Simple Machines Forum (SMF), and the population of users when
they first started where relative newbies. They quickly learn the
basics.

http://www.simplemachines.org/

You just untar the package into a directory seen by the web site access
it via a url (I think - it was a long time ago now - install.php) and it
does the rest.  You need a running MySQL, with a database, and user
created, but it does the rest.

--
Alan Chandler
http://www.chandlerfamily.org.uk