Re: using lame

> This is only partly correct.  The real answer is you can convert from
> any lossless format to lossy to acheive the desired results.  WAV is
> uncompressed lossless audio data, whereas FLAC, Wavpack, etc. are
> lossless compression file formats that also have the ability to store
> ID3 tag info which comes in very handy when encoding to mp3 or any
> other lossy source.

The real answer is that lossy formats (mp3, ogg,...) lose information
when compressing, and once it's removed by the compression process you
simply can't recreate it. The mp3 is to the CD what the abstract is to
the book, if you want. If you have the book, you can write the abstract,
but the other way round won't work. Transcoding a file to gain quality
is not possible, the best you can do is gaining disk space without
losing quality (e.g. raw CD -> lossless format, but also mp3 320kpbs ->
ogg q6~8). You could also go from mp3 320 to mp3 160 (gaining disk space
but losing quality). But going from 160 to 320 is like adding white
pages to your book. Takes more space, but there's nothing more in it.

Regards.

(I hope I'm not misusing the word "abstract" here - FR résumé, DE
Zusammenfassung)