Re: Inquiry:External USB modem and Remote PC Access?

Hi,

I read that you run ebian as server...

On Mon, Oct 26, 2009 at 04:52:45AM +0000, hadi motamedi wrote:
>  Dear All
> Please be informed that I checked for the presence of internal modem on my
> CentOS server , as the followings :
> #dmesg |grep -i modem
> #lspci |grep -i modem
> #lshw |grep -i modem

I have no idea why you are even bothering this.  What is wrong having
internal modem.

> According to the output , it seems that my CentOS client does not contain
> internal modem . So I decided to add external USB modem and make use of an
> PCAnyWhere like application that enables for Remote PC Access .

What exactly is "PCAnyWhere like application" on Cent OS?  You must be
explicit on what you are doing.  Are you trying to access Debian machine
from Cent OS using using "Remote desktop"?

> Can you
> please do me favor and let me know how can I add the external USB modem to
> my CentOS host and please propose for an PCAnyWhere like application that
> can be installed on my CentOS client and enables for remote dialup
> connection (as the PCAnyWhere does for the MS Windows clients) ?
> Let me thank you in advance.

You can have anything on PC but your "Remote desktop" client and server
needs to be configured to use particular port you active modems are
located.  The exact details needs to feollow instruction of particular
application

If I were you, I set up ppp connection over modem line.  Then run X over
it.  (Or just use console and shell command).  "Remote desktop" is
basically for Windows world.  We normally use X.

You can google on "Remote desktop linux" to get some idea.

Osamu