Re: Wondering about doing something strange with networking

On Tuesday 27 Oct 2009, Dan Ritter wrote:
> On Tue, Oct 27, 2009 at 07:58:18AM +0000, Alan Chandler wrote:
> >
> > What I am less certain about is how I can cater for Wireless
> > clients coming in over the WAP, who do really need dhcp allocated
> > addresses.  My guess is that they would be requesting leases via
> > some broadcasting mechanism, and that there is no way for the
> > ethernet switch to prevent them going to the cable modem (and
> > thence to my isp) and the dhcp server at my isp responding.
> >
> Alternatively, hardcode IPs for everything on that switch. You
> can either hardcode IPs for your wireless devices, or run DHCP
> on a separate subnet  there.

I think that is the answer, limit the switch to have the cable modem,
plug computer and existing cable router on it.  the "lan" side of that
cable router will be where I connect everything else and can use dhcp
with confidence there.

I presume nfs (which I have not used before) will still work connecting
the plug computer as an nfs client throught the router (which is a NAT
device) to one of the backend servers running a large disk and the nfs
server end if I port forward correctly. [one particular usage of my
external web site is to provide access to some large files - I am happy
for this to fail if I turn off my in home computing environment leaving
only the plug computer running.

--
Alan Chandler
http://www.chandlerfamily.org.uk