problem with debian 503 netinstall after accepting the automatically suggested updates

problem with debian 503 netinstall after accepting the automatically
suggested updates

Hello debian users:

I have discovered this

aptitude install reportbug; reportbug

and I am running it from the command line ctrl+alt F1,

I have the small iso file, which fits on one cd

debian-503-i386-netinst.iso

installation was smooth and new software was appended.

Then in upper right corner an orange flower alerted, that some updates
or upgrades was ready to launch.

I accepted and got a list of thousands of new packets and dependencies,

I said "yes and amen."  on every two or three windows with a message.

after that, x server hangs, no gnome log in possible.

ctrl+alt backspace has little effect. it somehow restarts, but hangs and
freezes after log in, no mouse interaction possible, only moves, no clicks.

I hope to be able to finish

aptitude install reportbug; reportbug

and send you a bug report with my dmesg.

Before I was surprised by this update attack, the debian 503 worked fine
and all applications I tried worked.

I tried the dpkg --configure  -a

and

aptitude install  reportbug; reportbug

It is now removing endless lists of of software.

It is difficult to sendmail from the commandline, with no Iceweasel or
Icedove or Iceape.

But I can get the output of  dmesg and lspci -vvv   ftp that to a safe
place and submit the details.

I repeat: debian worked before the update was launched. It lasted approx
12 hours.

Sincerely yours,

Morten Gulbrandsen

主バイトホイットフィールド
Java programmer, C++ programmer
CAcert Assurer, GSWoT introducer, thawte Notary
Gossamer Spider Web of Trust http://www.gswot.org
Please consider the environment before printing this e-mail!