Re: How to uninstall a kernel and *all* of its "dependencies"?

Klistvud wrote:
> Dne, 23. 10. 2009 12:49:12 je Johannes Wiedersich napisal(a):
>> Why don't you just give it a try and follow up with any questions or
>> problems you face?
>
> Because I'm not yet familiar enough with Debian (or GNU/Linux, for that
> matter) to know where to look for leftovers once the kernel is
> uninstalled; I'm able to track down the location of Grub's menu.lst and
> of the kernel modules, but that's about it.

Debian packages are generally designed to remove all files that were
installed when the package is removed. There is a difference between
'aptitude remove package' and 'aptitude purge package', though. The
first removes all files of the package, except configuration files, the
second removes all files of the package including configuration files.

The kernel is somewhat special in that the installation also touches the
configuration belonging to grub, ie. /boot/grub/menu.lst

Normally, removing of the kernel package with aptitude will
automagically update that file for you (unless you have changed your
configuration from the default values).

As far as files are concerned that belong to the kernel, but were
created by you (or a script you ran), I don't know. I guess it would be
your responsibility to take care of files that you have created, though ;-(

>                                             I'm just trying to get some
> input from more experienced users before 'giving it a try'; eventually,
> I *will* do that, and follow with any questions or problems I may face.

IMHE Debian's package system is rather robust and it is usually a severe
fault of the user, if something goes horribly wrong (like ignoring all
warnings and still continuing) PLUS that likelihood is rather small. I
was just trying to point that out.

NB: You should have some good backups of your system, so in the unlikely
case that something goes wrong you could easily restore your system to
the previous state (or investigate the difference to the previous state).

--
Johannes

Three nations have not officially adopted the International System
of Units as their primary or sole system of measurement: Burma,
Liberia, and the United States.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Si_units