Re: starting Idesk automatically in IceWM on Lenny

> On Friday 16 October 2009 13:42:25 Tim Clewlow wrote:
>> Ok, I found out that there is an error in the .xsession file, the
>> correct version is below, note the line 'icewm &' has now become
>> 'icewm-session &' - this should bring back the correct background
>> and hopefully the mouse will behave noremally again :-)
>>
>> #!/bin/sh
>> xrdb -merge ~/.Xdefaults &
>> icewm-session &
>> idesk &
>> while [ 1 ] ; do
>> sleep 1000d
>> done
>
> Our emails crossed!
>
> I have both IceWM _and_ idesk running correctly. \0/
>
> Just out of interest, and because it would obviously be easy to
> reverse, I
> uncommented startx in .bash_profile.  I then rebooted.
>
> And I have a fully operational system, but for that error message,
> so
> something is still not right - but hey, the presenting problem has
> been
> solved.  So if you want to breathe a sigh of relief and bring the
> shutters
> down, I shall still be greatly indebted to you.
>
> But if you have the stamina, and enough of the will to live, I would
> love to
> sort it out properly.
>
> Many thanks,
> cheers,
> Lisi

Might as well make it perfect :-) If you want X to start up
automatically at boot, comment out the startx command in the
bash.profile file, and install xdm.

As root do:

    apt-get install xdm

Now reboot - you should have a nice graphical user / pass thing to
play with. If you want to get rid of the graphical login, then in a
shell terminal also as root do:

    update-rc.d -f xdm remove

If you change your mind and want to get it back again later do (as
root):

    update-rc.d -f xdm defaults

Hopefully this will get the system to behave how you want.

Cheers, Tim.