Re: OT question about sound cards/chip-sets and high-end music systems

On Thu, Oct 15, 2009 at 08:51:52PM -0600, Paul E Condon wrote:
> So far the responses that I have gotten comfirm without a doubt that
> what I was told by the sales person in Best Buy is not at all the
> whole story. There is *a lot* more to the solution than just buying an
> adapter cable. Mention of Burr Brown 24bit ladder DACs brought back memories
> of technical problems that simply have no solution via software alone.

It's definitely not the whole story, but it's a good starting point.
The cables are pretty cheap (less than $20 in the US) and it'll get
you started.  It would probably be beneficial for you to put together a
cheap test system to see how you like it, before you spend big bucks on
better hardware.  It'll also give you time to experiment with different
music players on your computer to see which you like best.

-Rob