Re: OT question about sound cards/chip-sets and high-end music systems

I have a couple of questions for you before I delve into details of my
recommendaion.

What kind of hi-fi are we talking about? Do you have a dedicated
listening space or is this for casual listening when doing other
things, i.e., are we talking JVC or Pass Labs?

How important is it that the software/hardware be GPL free? Would you
consider using something Debian based if it offered you truly hi-fi
results?