Re: keeping the two latest files on a folder

Quoth Boyd Stephen Smith Jr. at 14/10/09 23:12...
Your font has betrayed you. The single-column-mode option is "-1" (dash-one), your messages says you tried the option "-l" (dash-ell) which requested a
detailed (long) listing.

Aha! Sure looked like a lower-case L. Think I need to bump up the font size for this little screen! Thank you for pointing that out.

Unfortunately, I still can't get the desired effect.

The ls -1 (#1) gives me my single-column list but piping it to sed '1,2d' still gives me the entire directory listing, each item separated by a single space. Can't see any reason from the sed manpage why this should be and can't locate my awk & sed book (may have left it at last job.)

If I'm the only person who can't get it to work, I'll leave it at that. Just trying it out of curiosity - if I really wanted to do this, I'd do it in Perl anyway. (Because I'm a Perl developer.)

Cheers

Matthew Smith
Business:      http://www.smiffytech.com/
Blog/personal: http://www.smiffysplace.com/