Re: How to REALLY restart networking?

Dne, 14. 10. 2009 13:26:52 je Matthew Smith napisal(a):

> If I had this problem, I think that the first thing I would do is
> disable all the "complicated" bits - like dhcdbd - and configure the
> network manually in /etc/network/interfaces
>
> In other words, get networking back to basics.
>
> Then see if ifdown followed by ifup doesn't solve the problem.
>
> If you're using DHCP, try setting setting up static IP addresses
> instead.  Then you know that lease expiry won't be contributing to
> the
> problem.

Problem is, I'm afraid to do that and break up my current
configuration which, be it as it may, "kinda works". Both machines are
quite important to me, as they are
used daily by my wife and me for our job. I'm too much of a newbie to
reconfigure a network interface from DHCP to static without breaking
anything. I honestly fear I could never get it to the pristine state
again -- and a complete reinstall is out of the question.

As for dhcdbd -- I never even knew I had such thing running. Where does
that start from and why? I've also heard you should disable IPv6 if you
experience network problems or lags -- but don't have the faintest idea
as to how/where it's done in Debian.

--
Certifiable Loonix User #481801