Re: Someone help me in the right direction for networks <- Might be off topic

Dean Chester wrote:

> Hi,
> I've been asked to set up a network of between 6 and 10 computers, using
> linux yet i don't know what to do. I've decided to allocate 2 as servers
> and because we have to run our network with in another network so we are
> hoping to run the 1 server as a copy of the other one just it will be
> sitting outside of the firewall(not allowed to open other ports on the
> firewall) so we can access documents at home, i'm thinking of running a
> webdav server to do that part.. Now the main problem how would i go about
> configuring the workstations to allow home directries on any computer so
> users do not have to have specific computers and they can go in and use
> any freely avaliable machine. I am open to another suggestions.
> Thanks in advance
> Dean

1 server behind the firewall would be the dhcp/dns and auth server
if the firewall can do vpn this is all you need. just setup vpn on the
firewall and on the clients and you are ready to go. if not put a second
server infront of the firewall and do vpn there, but you'll have to bypass
the firewall then (may be consider DMZ)

You can also use ldap for authentication and samba for windows network
shares

regards