Re: virtual machines and winxp

On Monday 12 Oct 2009, Alan Chandler wrote:

> Yes it was that bug.  I downgraded to 72 and it now works.
> Unfortunately this version seems to not allow me to dynamically
>  connect a usb device (at least the error message says the hypervisor
>  does not support the hostdev xml that I was trying to use).

My upgrade went and overwrote the downgrade so I am back to the latest
release.

HOWEVER, I found a work around thanks to some googling and seeing the
bug in ubuntu

The KVM needs the -nx flag to allow it to work.  You can achieve this
with the following steps

create the file /etc/libvirt/qemu/kvm-32 with the following contents

#!/bin/bash
exec kvm -cpu qemu32,-nx `echo $*`

and make it executable.

In the same directory you should find the xml file for your virtual
machine.  In my case it was called windows.xml

Inside that file there is a line

<emulator>/usr/bin/kvm</emulator>

change it to

<emulator>/etc/libvirt/qemu/kvm-32</emulator>

You will need to restart libvirt-bin

/etc/init.d/libvirt-bin restart

and then the virtual machine can be started and windows runs fine.

--
Alan Chandler
http://www.chandlerfamily.org.uk