virtual machines and winxp

because I have just got myself and iphone and I need to run itunes to
back stuff up, I thought I would install windows xp in a virtual machine
(using libvirt and associated tools).

I can easily install xp and get it up and running.  But as part of the
upgrade to winxp sp2 (necessary for itunes) it somehow corrupts the disk
image and it fails to boot.  The symptoms are hanging with 100% of the
virtual pc CPU being used.

If I destroy the virtual machine and re-create it from the disk image
file I can get the boot screen up, but it then tells me it failed to
start and offers me a route into safe mode.  Safe mode with networking
works.

If I do anything else (including going back to the previous
configuration, I get stuck in this 100% CPU loop).

I am not sure where to go next.  I can roll back the image to pre sp2
upgrade (I took a copy just prior to doing the upgrade) and that works
fine, but as soon as I do the remote update from microsoft the image is
corrupted and I am stuck.

Googling around doesn't seem to show anyone else with this sort of
problem (other that some ubuntu problems with KVM - but these seem to be
related to a KVM upgrade rather than a Winxp upgrade).

Any one with experience of this (I am new to it all this weekend) have
any pointers of what to try next

--
Alan Chandler
http://www.chandlerfamily.org.uk