Re: Printing from last page to the first

Merciadri Luca <Luca.Merciadri@student.ulg.ac.be> writes:

> Carl Johnson <carlj@peak.org> writes:
>
>> Merciadri Luca <Luca.Merciadri@student.ulg.ac.be> writes:
>>
>>> Hello,
>>>
>>> When printing a document, it is always easier for the person who needs
>>> to reassemble the printed document if it was printed from the last
>>> page to the first one, leading to such a printing stack in front of
>>> you:
>>>
>>> Sheet 1
>>> Sheet 2
>>> .
>>> .
>>> .
>>> Sheet n-1
>>> Sheet n
>>> assuming there are n sheets of papers.
>>>
>>> However, even with using a special PPD file for my OfficeJet Pro
>>> L7500, I am unable to tick such an option whatever the place: CUPS on
>>> localhost, Printing menu under System > Administration, ...
>>>
>>> Is there an easy solution to use this?
>>>
>>> Thanks.
>>
>> If it is in postscript form, then you can use (or pipe through) the
>> psselect program in the psutils package.  I haven't tried it, but I
>> see where cups configuration has a filter option, one of which is
>> ordering using psselect.
> Thanks for your answer. It is unfortunately *not* always in postscript
> form. Your idea of piping through the psselect program which is in the
> psutils package is nice for postscript files, but how do I make this
> for other files?

Most programs can print to a file in postscript format, or there are
programs that can convert to postscript.  The only programs I can
remember right now are a2ps and enscript.  I also see the gpr program
(from the gpr package) depends on psutils, so it may also be able to
select reverse printing.

>> I see it in cups configuration and in the
>> options for individual print jobs, so you just need to look deeper
>> into the configuration options.  It is available in the KDE versions
>> of the print manager, but I don't know that is available elsewhere.
> I use GNOME, but "Printing" is only a GUI for the CUPS server which
> can be installed on a machine, isn't it? Consequently, if you can find
> it in your CUPS server, I should be able to find it too. However, it
> is still unreachable. I have looked thoroughly at all the options, but
> aren't they PPD-dependent?

It appears that it is a feature of kprint from KDE.  It shows up in
printer configuration under KDE, and print setup from KDE programs,
but not in non-KDE programs.

I just looked at the online documentation for cups, and I just found
an option for reversing.  If you have cups set up for online
configuration, then try looking at:
http://localhost:631/help/options.html?TOPIC=Getting+Started&QUERY=#OUTPUTORDER
This show how to specify reverse printing from the command line, and
shows a couple of examples further down the page.

--
Carl Johnson		carlj@peak.org