Re: Libata in Debian GNU/Linux Lenny

On Sun, Oct 11, 2009 at 12:55:28PM -0300, Daniel Bareiro wrote:
> > > I'm using Debian GNU/Linux Lenny with linux-image-2.6.26-2-amd64
> > > stock kernel installed from a binary image from Debian repositories.
> > >
> > > In this case the disks are seen like hdX but using kernel 2.6.31.2
> > > compiled by myself with the sources of kernel.org the disks are seen
> > > like sdX. I consider that this difference is because with 2.6.31.2
> > > libata is being used whereas in 2.6.26 it is disabled. Is it
> > > possible?
>
> With  2.6.31.2 from kernel.org I got the following output with "lspci -v":
>
> 00:01.1 IDE interface: Intel Corporation 82371SB PIIX3 IDE [Natoma/Triton II] (prog-if 80 [Master])
> [...]
>         Kernel driver in use: ata_piix
>         Kernel modules: ata_generic, ata_piix, ide-pci-generic, piix
>
> whereas with linux-image-2.6.26-2-amd64 stock kernel installed from a
> binary image from Debian repositories I got the following output with
> "lspci -v":
>
> 00:01.1 IDE interface: Intel Corporation 82371SB PIIX3 IDE [Natoma/Triton II] (prog-if 80 [Master])
> [...]
>         Kernel driver in use: PIIX_IDE
>         Kernel modules: ata_generic, ide-pci-generic, piix

Debian's kernel is patched such that ata_piix only handles SATA controllers,
and the old piix driver takes over for PATA controllers:
http://svn.debian.org/viewsvn/kernel/dists/trunk/linux-2.6/debian/patches/debian/drivers-ata-ata_piix-postpone-pata.patch?revision=13847&view=markup

I guess this was done while libata was still under heavy development,
and the old driver was considered more stable then.

If you are curious, ask the Debian Kernel Maintainers.

Regards,
Mirko