Re: Libata in Debian GNU/Linux Lenny

On Sat, Oct 10, 2009 at 17:54, Daniel Bareiro <daniel-listas@gmx.net> wrote:
> Hi all!
>
> I'm using Debian GNU/Linux Lenny with linux-image-2.6.26-2-amd64 stock
> kernel installed from a binary image from Debian repositories.
>
> In this case the disks are seen like hdX but using kernel 2.6.31.2
> compiled by myself with the sources of kernel.org the disks are seen
> like sdX. I consider that this difference is because with 2.6.31.2
> libata is being used whereas in 2.6.26 it is disabled. Is it possible?
>
> Reviewing the compilation options of the stock kernel and comparing them
> with those of kernel 2.6.31.2 I see that the following options are the
> same in both cases:
>
> CONFIG_ATA=m
> CONFIG_ATA_PIIX=m
> CONFIG_ATA_GENERIC=m
> CONFIG_BLK_DEV_SD=m
> CONFIG_BLK_DEV_SR=m
> CONFIG_IDE=m

It might be that libata was not used for your specific IDE
chipset in 2.6.26, but libata in general was definitely not
disabled.

You can find your IDE chipset with lspci -v and then look
for "IDE interface" or "SATA controller" or similar.

On Sat, Oct 10, 2009 at 18:31, Stan Hoeppner <stan@hardwarefreak.com> wrote:

> Are your disks IDE or SATA?  Sure it's possible if you're using disk
> driver modules.  Compiling the exact driver module you want used into
> the kernel eliminates all doubt.  Thus, one of the reasons I compile
> kernels the way I do.  Eliminates the guesswork.

You know you can find the module in use with lsmod, right?
And you can blacklist modules to prevent the wrong one
from being used.

Cheers,
Kelly Clowers