Re: Someone help me in the right direction for networks <- Might be off topic

On Sun, Oct 11, 2009 at 5:38 AM, Dean Chester
<dean.g.chester@googlemail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
> I've been asked to set up a network of between 6 and 10 computers, using
> linux yet i don't know what to do. I've decided to allocate 2 as servers and
> because we have to run our network with in another network so we are hoping
> to run the 1 server as a copy of the other one just it will be sitting
> outside of the firewall(not allowed to open other ports on the firewall) so
> we can access documents at home, i'm thinking of running a webdav server to
> do that part.. Now the main problem how would i go about configuring the
> workstations to allow home directries on any computer so users do not have
> to have specific computers and they can go in and use any freely avaliable
> machine. I am open to another suggestions.
> Thanks in advance
> Dean

I'm curious what you've looked at b/c there is a lot of info
available. When I google 'debian networking' I get a bunch of (what
looks to be) good stuff.

As far as users having access to there home dirs from any machine, why
not have them ssh into the server, where their home dirs are located.
You can set up ssh to forward X packets (man ssh) and they can run a
desktop on their local machine, but through the server.

Just a thought . . .