Re: Someone help me in the right direction for networks <- Might be off topic

Thanks for that you have given me a place to start, am not so tempted just to run ubuntu server and run debian and configure it all myself.
Dean

On Sun, Oct 11, 2009 at 1:59 PM, Didar Hossain <didar.hossain@gmail.com> wrote:
On Sun, Oct 11, 2009 at 4:08 PM, Dean Chester
<dean.g.chester@googlemail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
> I've been asked to set up a network of between 6 and 10 computers, using
> linux yet i don't know what to do. I've decided to allocate 2 as servers and
> because we have to run our network with in another network so we are hoping
> to run the 1 server as a copy of the other one just it will be sitting
> outside of the firewall(not allowed to open other ports on the firewall) so
> we can access documents at home, i'm thinking of running a webdav server to
> do that part.. Now the main problem how would i go about configuring the
> workstations to allow home directries on any computer so users do not have
> to have specific computers and they can go in and use any freely avaliable
> machine. I am open to another suggestions.

NIS+NFS used to be a popular setup for roaming users. Now, NIS is
being replaced by LDAP.
However, I have no experience with LDAP much so can't tell you much.

The old NIS-howto and NFS-howto documents are what I had referred to
get the NIS+NFS thing
going. Maybe you it could still help.

HTH,
Didar