Libata in Debian GNU/Linux Lenny

Kelly Clowers put forth on 10/10/2009 10:45 PM:

> You know you can find the module in use with lsmod, right?
> And you can blacklist modules to prevent the wrong one
> from being used.

Sure.  But why work backwards?

I know exactly what hardware I have, and I'd rather put my drivers in
the kernel, for a variety of reasons.  The aforementioned was just one.
 Simplicity is another.  I boot with LILO and without initramfs, which
is required for using modules.  My 2.6.31.1 kernel image is only 1.1MB
including all necessary drivers, and without using modules.  That's a
pretty tight 2.6.x kernel.

For _me_, the module method is inefficient, somewhat bloated, and
unnecessary.  I don't run desktop Debian, only servers, and I optimize
the !@#$ out of them.  I have no need to dynamically unload drivers
while the system is running, ala USB thumb drives et al.

This is one of the great things about Linux and Debian.  You can do with
it exactly what you want, even if others disagree and think you're !@#$
for doing so.

;)

--