acpid not logging - or doing other things

Hi folks

I'm trying to get this machine running Lenny to suspend to disc when I press the power button.

The problem that I'm having is that modifying /etc/acpi/powerbtn.sh or /etc/acpi/powerbtn-acpi-support.sh seems to have no effect. After restarting acpid, pressing the button has no effect at all - neither the one in the original version of the file (do a shutdown) nor mine.

Same issue with the lid.

Thought I'd have a look in /var/log to see what events are being picked up, but can find no acpi events being logged in either messages, syslog, daemon.log, kern.log or appearing in dmesg, for that matter.

I know that I must have some acpi support here as I'm able to look at my battery info through /proc/acpi/battery/BAT1/state.

If it's relevant, I'm running the 2.6.30-bpo.1-amd64, which I need for wlan support.

Ideas?

Cheers

Matthew Smith
Business:      http://www.smiffytech.com/