Re: Transfer email files?

Thomas H. George wrote:
> I have two computers with uptodate Squeeze systems, gdm, icewm and
> iceape internet suite.  On one the iceape browser and email client can
> play videos on the other they can't.  I have been unable to find the
> reason for this difference.
>
> I want to move the email file and address book from the system that
> can't play videos to the one that can without losing anything.  This is
> important to me as I receive emails with video clips attached, upload
> the video clips to a web site and use the browser to view the videos on
> the web site.
>
> Perhaps such a move is a trivial operation but I want to be certain that
> it suceeds.
>
> I would appreciate any descriptions of successful moves.
>
> Tom

i'm not familair with the iceape suite but i do use Thunderbird+Firefox
on 20 desktops and have moved the mail on numerous occasions without
problems. (I GUESS, that iceape uses the same principle as the other
mozilla products!!!!!)

on my system there is a .mozilla-thunderbird (yours might be .iceape or
something) folder in the users /home dir  holds all user mails , address
books and settings, just copy these over to the other computer.

p.s.
check your browser to show the "hidden files" that start with a . if you
can't see any files that start with a .

p.p.s.
you might need to change the owner permissions if you run it as a
another user

p.p.s.
in case the other computer already has a folder like this and you would
like to keep these configs you need to back that up first, in case you
would like to "merge" these 2 its a slightly different story but i'm not
sure if you want that.

p.p.p.s.
as long as you do not delete and backup before you overwrite any folders
you can't go wrong)

have fun