Re: How much RAM can debian support?

2009/10/9 Dean Chester <dean.g.chester@googlemail.com>:
> Hi
> I'm moving to a Macbook soon(staying with debian tho:p) and apple keep
> advertising that snow leopard can support 16 exobytes of RAM. Im just
> wondering how much can 64-bit debian support?
> Thanks in advance
> Dean

In theory at least Debian will support the limits of the kernel
version it uses. So it is a bit subjective really.

IIRC, only the latest X58 chipsets (for desktop consumer PCs) support
upto either 16Gb or 32Gb of RAM (forget which),
and the P3x chipsets only support upto 8Gb, with the P45 supporting
upto 16Gb. IIRC Intel laptop chipsets are derived from
their desktop counterparts to some extent.

Even though a motherboard can support upto 16Gb+ of ram, with most
only having 4 slots, it'd be rather difficult/expensive to fill it
so 8Gb is the realistic limit in terms of cost.

Kelly