[pecondon@mesanetworks.net: Re: D-Link's Shareport USB Utility]

Date: Fri, 9 Oct 2009 20:43:24 -0600
From: Paul E Condon <pecondon@mesanetworks.net>
To: debian-user@lists.debian.org
Subject: Re: D-Link's Shareport USB Utility

On 2009-10-09_17:17:26, Stan Hoeppner wrote:
> Merciadri Luca put forth on 10/9/2009 4:42 PM:
> > Hello,
> >
> > I am using a D-Link router which D-Link's SharePort utility can be
> > used with. Unfortunately, this utility seems not to work at all
> > under Debian (Lenny). Shareport aims at allowing the OS to use the
> > router's USB port. Shareport is built for Windows, but Wine does not
> > want to install it correctly, as the installation ends prematurely.
> >
> > I do not even know how Shareport works. Is there any solution out
> > there to allow Debian to look at my router's USB port?
>
> A better question is why aren't you using ethernet instead of USB?  Use
> the right tool for the job.

I have several D-Link routers. I have always configured them using firefox
and, more recently, iceweasel. I think any browser will do.

Point your browser at the default D-Link url, which is 192.168.0.1
The router has a tiny local web server inside. The log-in dialog expects
username, admin , and NO password. The documentation makes a big point of
setting a password -- Don't set a password, if you do set a password make
sure it is one that is totally obvious and impossible for you to forget,
like your given name. Note that the url is in the private network url space.
You can change it to something else, but doing so just makes your life more
difficult. Don't change it.

If you do set a password or change the url, you can recover from your
error by using a paper-clip to press a reset switch that hides inside
a little hole near the power jack.

HTH
--
Paul E Condon