Re: How much RAM can debian support?

On Fri, Oct 9, 2009 at 6:34 PM, Stan Hoeppner <stan@hardwarefreak.com> wrote:

> A $600 full length ISA card and a cable to the 8088 socket quadrupled my
> system performance in about 15 minutes.  Best upgrade I ever made.

My first computer was in the early 80s and it had 16K of RAM (TRS 80).

I think 64 bit debian will likely support more ram than any systems
integrator will be able to put in a box. Of course, don't come and
quote me on that in 2013 sometime :). I've known people to tell me
that they'd never need more than a 20 meg HD, too :).

Personally, I don't see a need to go 128 bit on a main cpu unless you
have a desire to count and enumerate every elementary particle in the
known universe, without a) running out of RAM, or b) spilling the
content into a multiregister add/adc pair. :)

--
thanks for letting me change the magnetic patterns on your hard disk.